Thursday, February 13, 2014

Crazy Train

Feels like we've been on a crazy ride the past few weeks...  Just when you think you are track A, life moves you to track B!

Derek was working hard on his math class.  He took a week-long break to help out at the Sportsman Show a few weeks ago and was nearing completion just a week ago.  He finally finished his last chapter (20 total) and after a few days, took the test..   83.6% I think it was..  AWESOME POSSUM!  I was really proud of him for finishing the class within a 5 week window basically.

We've been working hard at the whole baby-making process too..  Derek caught a cold and often was feeling crappy, he was tired from studying, stressed about life, but I had him on a 36hr schedule, whether either of us wanted to or not..  LOL    Not sure if it has paid off yet, the hard work that is, but it's possible!  We have mixed feelings about being too excited, we want to..  just a little unsure since we really are not going to be ready to spread the good news until we have confirmation of a healthy viable pregnancy..  So that's still a few months out from now.  We talk about it daily though, hoping that I am and even wishing for twins!

I have started swimming at the new pool in Snohomish.  My friend Angela has invited me to go with her on Mon and/or Wed nights.. It is BUSY, packed, crowded, full of teenagers, but its been nice and a great workout that is low-stress on my body but really good for me as well.  I hope to continue to swim, might even go in the mornings 3-4 days a week before work.  They have this really cool river that you can walk against the current on, good times!  My WW has been very up/down.  I was looking back and since I re-started in Oct, I've only lost 5 pounds in 4 months..  :(  But I had a lot of stress, depression and holidays to get through in this 4 months so I'm trying to not feel too disappointed about it.  I feel like I'm getting back on track and making better decisions, so I hope that continues.  I need to keep loosing and get out of this rut.

Over the past few months, Derek had been gearing up to start his new career as an electrician.  He purchased supplies, tools, took the math class, research and more to prepare himself.  He had every intention of leaving painting in the dust and moving on...  UNTIL....  Boeing had to go and finally consider him for a job as a Finish Painter..  He got the call 2 weeks ago that they wanted him to come in for an interview last week.  The interview was at 6:45am in Everett, it lasted exactly 30 minutes and Derek left there more stressed and anxious about how it had gone, than ever before!  In the past he was always fairly confident he had gotten the job if not had it already been offered to him on the spot.  And he did ALWAYS get the job in the past.  But this interview was different, the formality of it all, the lack of ability for Derek to connect with the interviewer or to sell himself on his abilities and skills, cut and dry - to the point.. that was his experience.  So we spent the next 24 hours stressed I guess you could say because he realized just how badly he wanted this job!  It would mean stability, steady work, a GREAT company to work for, great benefits, close to home and good pay migrating into great pay down the road.  The drawbacks:  It would mean we would be tied to the area for his career and he would likely be on Swing shift.

We worked it out in our heads though that moving is always something we can still consider down the road.  And if Derek is making better $ then it would be easier to afford to go do the things we had wanted to move closer to.  Also swing shift was another obstacle..  but we can find a way to make it work..  All contingent on getting offered the job of course.  We spent 24 hours worried and stressed about it and sure enough, the streak continues..  Derek is incapable of going for an interview and not getting the job!!!  :)  Yippy...  They did make an offer!!

I was excited, I was shaking.  I am so excited and happy for Derek.  I know he planned to get away from painting, BUT I also know a BIG part of that decision was due to the industry in our area and the employers.. not necessarily the job.  The companies in our area have all banned together to hire asshole bosses, dipshit foremen and dumbass supervisors..  lol   Boeing is not like these other shops in the area, so this should be a really great career move and decision for Derek.  There is a light at the end of this track, and it will be a 5 year process to get all the way to the light, but its worth it.

And then 24 hours later the kick to the gut came when Boeing called to say that they did not have authorization to make the hires for the job, so they had to withdraw their offer!  Happy F*ing Valentines to him (yep that was Valentine's day that they called).  Which made for a very somber evening filled with depression, disbelief, frustration...  There was no indication that they would be hiring anytime soon.  The good news:  He had already submitted his drug test earlier in the day, so his drug-free clearance will stay on record for 6 months and we found out today, that they are continuing with the background check as we have to verify employment for one of his previous employers.   What that means.. who knows!  What we hope that means...  that he will be at the top of the list when they do get authorization and will still re-offer him the job in the NEAR future..  but not holding our breath.

Either way.. I'm So Proud of my husband!!

No comments: